About The Arboretum
At The Dawes Arboretum we share the love and knowledge of trees, history and nature with our community in Licking County, just 30 miles east of Columbus, Ohio. As a nearly 2,000 acre accredited Arboretum, or tree museum, we are unique locally. We ensure access to memorable experiences in nature that create lifelong engagement with our supporters.
Position Posting: Marketing Associate
The Marketing Associate is part of the advancement team at The Arboretum, which includes the marketing and fundraising staff. Under the direction of the Marketing Manager, the Marketing Associate is responsible for implementing The Arboretum’s electronic communications program and supporting the advancement team’s ongoing activities. This is a 30-hour per week, non-exempt position that is benefit eligible. Occasional evening and weekend work is required to support the promotion and awareness of our programs and events.
- Helps develop The Arboretum’s social media strategy and executes timely and effective social media posts.
- Provides prompt and helpful responses to inquiries received from members, partners, and the general public through electronic communications.
- Evaluates and updates The Arboretum’s website content, mobile application and event calendar.
- Creates and coordinates the production of blog posts and a monthly e-newsletter.
- Provides support to ongoing Development and Marketing activities.
- Independently performs job requirements to meet deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations or related field.
- Experience working on social media campaigns and website content maintenance preferred.
- Proficiency with the WordPress platform and Adobe Creative Cloud Suite preferred.
Send cover letter, resume and three references to Human Resource Manager, The Dawes Arboretum, 7770 Jacksontown Road SE, Newark, OH 43056 OR email email@example.com with the subject line: Marketing Associate. Full consideration will be given to applications received by 12/7/16. To learn more about The Dawes Arboretum, please visit www.dawesarb.org.
Position Posting: Seasonal Marketing Team Member
The Seasonal Marketing Team Member is part of the advancement team at The Arboretum, which includes the marketing and fundraising staff. Under the direction of the Marketing Manager, the Seasonal Marketing Team Member is responsible for writing and designing some Arboretum communications and supporting the advancement team’s ongoing activities. This position offers a flexible schedule, up to 24 hours per week. This non-exempt position is expected to begin in spring 2017 and runs for approximately four months or 300 hours of work. Occasional evening and weekend work is required to support the promotion and awareness of our programs and events.
- Provides creative input for social media posts.
- Writes blog posts and other communications.
- Designs flyers, brochures, advertisements and hand-outs.
- Supports special events on Arboretum grounds and assists with partner events off grounds.
- Provides support to ongoing Development and Marketing activities.
- Significant course work toward a bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations or related field.
- Experience with writing web communications, designing print pieces and delivering outstanding customer service preferred.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud Suite and the WordPress platform preferred.
Send cover letter, resume and three references to Human Resource Manager, The Dawes Arboretum, 7770 Jacksontown Road SE, Newark, OH 43056 OR email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Seasonal Marketing Team Member. Position posted until 12/20/16. To learn more about The Dawes Arboretum, please visit www.dawesarb.org.
Environmental Professionals Training Program
This advanced training program is specifically designed for recent graduates and emerging conservation professionals, seeking direct experience and practical skills to enhance credentials and assist in career advancement opportunities.
The Environmental Professionals Program provides specialized knowledge in conservation of natural resources, landscape management and horticulture through training alongside Arboretum staff. Participants gain the skills necessary for conducting ecosystem restoration, invasive species control, plant propagation, wildlife monitoring and presenting educational programs, while networking with fellow conservation professionals in the field.
- Restore wetlands, woodlands, streams, farmland and prairie ecosystems
- Learn adaptive management using GIS applications, photo point documentation and other field research methods
- Advance skill development in greenhouse operation, botanical research, seed collection and cleaning, proper planting, pruning and aftercare, herbarium mounting, collections records and database management
- Learn plant identification and invasive species management techniques
- Conduct biodiversity surveys and vegetation monitoring protocols
- Monitor wildlife & assist with nesting structure maintenance
- Present educational programs on project outcomes
- Engage volunteers and organize events
- Degree in Ecology, Horticulture, Botany, Natural Resources, Wildlife Management or related field
- Good organizational skills and computer proficiency (Windows, Word, Excel, etc)
- Self-motivated, willing to learn and eager to apply newly acquired skills
- Independent decision making and problem solving ability
- Desire to work outside at any time of year
- Adherence to all standard operating procedures and safety protocols
- Able to work a flexible schedule including some evenings, weekends and holidays
- Able to maintain professional, positive interactions and communicate effectively in person and in writing
- Possession of a valid Ohio motor vehicle operator’s license and a good driving record required
- Successful completion of pre-start background check
Compensation: The Dawes Arboretum provides on-site housing, all utilities, off-site training registration fees and optional licensure as compensation to participants (equivalent $2,000).*
Upon successful completion of the program, participants receive an Arboretum issued certificate of completion and if applicable, letters of recommendation. Residential training is provided at no cost to participants.
Terms: (FALL/WINTER) October 23 – April 29 & (SPRING/SUMMER) May 6 – October 7.
How to Apply: Positions are awarded on a competitive basis. Cover letter, resume and 2 letters of reference can be sent to: Shana Byrd, Director of Land Conservation, The Dawes Arboretum, 7770 Jacksontown Road, Newark, OH 43056, email email@example.com
* Professional Training Program Opportunities & Career Skills Offered:
- Advanced botany and vegetation monitoring techniques
- Herbarium vouchering and collections
- Native plant propagation, collection, pruning and care
- Sustainable landscaping and design
- Invasive species management
- Project design and reporting
- Plot delineation and photo point documentation
- Arc GIS software applications, plant accessioning and map making
- Grant writing, project management and budgeting
- Reforestation techniques
- Butterfly monitoring protocols
- Monarch rearing and tagging methods
- Forest management
- Hiking trail mapping and maintenance
- Stream conservation and stewardship
- Pond and wetland management
- Sustainable agriculture practices, soil testing and erosion control methods
- Wildlife nesting structure installation and maintenance
- Prairie establishment
- Prescribed fire management
- Bird monitoring protocols
- Research plot establishment and maintenance
- Wildlife management and nuisance trapping
- Professional Development: Licensure as Commercial Herbicide Applicator (Reynoldsburg, OH)*
- Professional Development: Ohio Invasive Plant Council Workshop (Columbus, OH)*
- Professional Development: Long-term Butterfly Monitoring (Newark, OH)*
- Professional Development: Buckeye Trail Association – Trail Adopter Training (Southeastern Ohio)*
- Professional Development: Rural Action Sustainable Agriculture & Forestry Programming (Southeast Ohio)*
- Professional Development: Society for Ecological Restoration Recent Graduate Membership (Great Lakes Region)*
- Professional Development: Ohio Wetland Association Event (Central, OH)*
Send General Employment Inquiries to:
Contact: Jan Romine | 740.323.2355 or 800.44.DAWES | firstname.lastname@example.org | 7770 Jacksontown Rd. Newark, OH 43056